Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What Shall I Call You?

We don't like labels that are given to identify us as individuals. Words used to signify cognitive ability or disability...words to point out physical attributes least desired by today's standards of beauty...negative ethnic or religious names...words that are meant as slurs. These words are often meant to put down the namee and raise the importance of the namer. How ridiculous!
Yet what do you think of when you hear the word "Christian"..."Believer"..."Bible-Banger"..."Born Again"? These words are often used in a negative way to identify those of us who believe in Jesus as the Son of God, our Savior. We wear the names gladly but humbly. For in wearing them, we are stating that we feel a responsibility to share our Faith...share the Truth. We are the living examples of God's Grace and Redemptive Power for a dying people. That is a pretty tough job if done well.
A young teen, angry and high on drugs, once yelled at me..."You Jesus lover!!!" At first I was taken aback and felt insulted. But I quickly realized that I had just been associated with the most precious One in all the world! So, call me names...go ahead and think I am narrow-minded...peg me for a freak. But I am hear to tell you that not one of us will escape judgement. Jesus offers you a way out through His shed blood. If this shirt offends you I am sorry for that was not my intent but Truth must be told.
Wear Gardenfire's truth boldly and wear the names gratefully. God bless you this and every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment