Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Faith


Several years ago I was on a plane from Kansas City heading back home. The plane had engine problems while in the air and the next thing I knew, the Flight Attendant was yelling "Head down, stay down, Prepare for emergency landing. Head down, stay down, prepare for emergency landing!" That was when I realized we were in deep trouble. Now some will say they saw their life flash before them. Not me...I was acutely aware of my surroundings. Everything seemed to slow down...time became suspended...and I watched as passengers prepared for their fates. One man took off his wedding ring, kissed it then placed it in his pants pocket. A woman got out pictures of children. She showed them to me across the aisle. "My grandchildren", she said with tears in her eyes. A small boy sitting in front of me with his dad shrunk down into his dad's side. "Are we going to die, Dad?" The man,obviously frightened, looked at me and whispered... "What do I say?" I gathered my own courage and replied, "Tell him that you love him". Moments that seemed like hours passed until the Captain told us that we had averted danger by the Grace of God. Now, I don't know if the captain was a believer, but at that moment he definitely was trusting a higher power. I have shared this story several times stating that I had no trouble sharing God's love in those moments. Yet, I find it hard to share my beliefs with my neighbors, people I know and work with, even friends that I know do not believe in God. The Bible tells us to "go into the world..." God, give me Your Grace and courage to go next door...down the street...around the corner. Help me to speak of Your love and mercy to all. Not just in time of crisis but as part of my everyday life. Anyone got a story? Share it with us....

No comments:

Post a Comment